It is an established practice in Hong Kong to conduct a population census every ten years and a population by-census in the middle of the intercensal period. The next population census is conducting in 2021. The aim is to obtain up-to-date benchmark information on the demographic and socio-economic characteristics of the population as well as its detailed geographical distribution. The information is useful for the planning of social services and facilities both at the territory-wide level and in your community.
About nine-tenths of the households will be subject to simple enumeration to provide basic demographic information of their household members, while the remaining one-tenth of the households will be subject to more detailed enquiry on a broad range of demographic and socio-economic characteristics of their household members.
Simple enumeration covers only some basic questions. On the other hand, more detailed enquiry includes not only those questions covered in the simple enumeration, but also additional ones related to the socio-economic characteristics of the population and the characteristics of households and quarters. Taking together the common information collected in both the simple enumeration and more detailed enquiry will give the complete enumeration results on the basic characteristics of the population. It will also form the basis for estimation of the detailed socio-economic characteristics collected through the more detailed enquiry.
The data topics for the 2021 Population Census cover 6 aspects, including (i) demographic and social characteristics (e.g. year and month of birth and sex), (ii) educational characteristics (e.g. educational attainment and field of education), (iii) internal migration characteristics (e.g. place of residence 5 years ago), (iv) economic characteristics (e.g. income and hours of work), (v) housing characteristics (e.g. floor area of accommodation, rent and mortgage payment or loan payment) and (vi) household characteristics (e.g. relationship to head of household).
The 46 data topics for the 2021 Population Census are listed below:
- Year and month of birth
- Marital status
- Usual spoken language
- Ability to speak other languages/dialects
- Ability to read/write languages
- Place of birth
- Elderly persons requiring care
- School attendance
- Educational attainment (highest level attended)
- Educational attainment (highest level completed)
- Field of education
- Place of study
- Mode of transport to place of study
- Whereabouts at census reference moment
- Duration of residence in Hong Kong
- Place of residence 5 years ago
- Economic activity status
- Whether having secondary employment
- Earnings from main employment
- Earnings from other employment
- Other cash income (including cash income from rent)
- Hours of work
- Place of work
- Mode of transport to place of work
- Type of quarters
- Type of accommodation
- Whether the quarters is used as usual or occasional residence
- Whether the quarters is a subdivided unit
- Number of rooms in the residence (including living or dining rooms, kitchens, bathrooms or toilets, bedrooms, other rooms, cocklofts and bedspaces)
- Floor area of accommodation
- No. of households in quarters (derived)
- No. of occupants in quarters (derived)
- Tenure of accommodation
- Rent (including rates, government rent and management fees)
- Mortgage payment or loan payment
- Type of household
- Relationship to head of household
- Whether a member of household
- Household size (derived)
- Household composition (derived)
- Household income (derived)
Demographic and social characteristics
Internal migration characteristics
The 2021 Population Census is conducting from 23 June to 4 August 2021.
Data Collection Method
The 2021 Population Census adopt a multi-modal data collection approach which is conducted in two phases.
First phase: starting on 23 June
All households will receive a Population Census notification letter before end June 2021. You may provide data through the following means:
- Complete online questionnaire
- Conduct telephone interview (census hotline at 18 2021)
- Mail back completed questionnaire (applicable to households receiving paper questionnaire)
Second phase: starting on 18 July
If we do not receive your completed questionnaire, our census officers will visit your household to assist you in providing the required information. Our census officers will carry a Census Officer Certificate of Identity for your checking. To reduce face-to-face contact and maintain social distance, you are cordially invited to provide the required information by online or paper questionnaire or via telephone means.
The 2021 Population Census cover all persons within the definition of the Hong Kong Resident Population under the “resident population” approach.
The “resident population” approach has been adopted to compile the population estimates of Hong Kong since August 2000, so as to take account of the changing residency and mobility patterns of the Hong Kong population.
Since 1961, a population census has been conducted in Hong Kong every ten years and a by-census in the middle of the intercensal period.
Population censuses were conducted in 1961, 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001 and 2011 while population by-censuses in 1966, 1976, 1986, 1996, 2006 and 2016.
If you would like to have more information about the past population censuses / by-censuses, please visit the following web pages: